Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recipe Idea: An Alternative to Sheperd's Pie

When I was younger, sheperd's pie was a staple in our family meal time. I had never been a fan of starchy potatoes (mostly because my dad insisted we had it every night). Once I moved out of the house, I had decided never to have sheperd's pie again. However, I do crave it at times probably because it reminds me of childhood.
I had tried an experiment with this recipe to make it a little less starchy and more healthy. It is also really easy and fast to make on those busy nights. I hope you enjoy it!

SWEET POTATO SHEPERD'S PIE

Ingredients:
  • Lean Ground Beef - 1/2 lb.
  • Onion - 1/2 cup
  • Spices to season (chili powder, paprika, black pepper) - 1 - 2 tsp. each
  • Frozen Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup
  • Sweet Potatoes/Yam - 3 big or 5 to 6 small
  • Margarine - 1 tbsp.
  • Milk - 1/4 cup
  • Salt - pinch
Instructions:
  • Preheat oven 400F
  • Brown ground beef and onion in a large frying pan. Add spices.
  • While beef is cooking, steam frozen mixed vegetable and sweet potatoes/yams until ready.
  • Mash sweet potatoes/yams adding margarine, milk and salt.
  • Grease a casserole baking dish with non-fat spray.
  • Layer each of the following ingredients in order: ground beef mixture, mixed vegetables, mashed sweet potatoes/yams.
  • Cut margarine evenly on top of the sweet potatoes/yams
  • Place in oven for about 30 mins.
  • Take out and let cool for 5 mins.
  • Eat and enjoy!

No comments: