Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Inside A Mother's Gym Bag

Don't be discouraged.  It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.
  ~Author Unknown


This post is dedicated to my lime green gym bag, who has had it pretty rough these last couple of years.  I feel very sorry for what it endures or the contents it has to carry around.  When your a mother, basically your gym bag becomes not only your gym bag, but so much more!  Here are some of the contents I found today while giving it a bit of clean:



  1. My Old, Worn Saucony Runners:  These runners are probably 2 years old, but I think they are still in incredible shape.  Plus we are a family on a budget and I can't justify spending anymore money on shoes this season.  Besides the summer is almost here and I am more inclined to buy a pretty pair of sandles then new runners. 
  2. Change of Underwear:  I know this sounds a bit silly, but sometimes I pack a few different types of underwear.  Depending on my exercise outfit I will wear a thong since I find it the most comfortable to workout in.  But when I'm done, I always like to wear granny-like underwear for the trip home (I'm dead serious).
  3. Mismatching Socks: Since I am not always on top of our laundry load, I likely have mismatching socks in my bag. At least they have the same pattern. 
  4. A Squished, Flat Energy Bar: Depending on the busy day I have, I most times have an energy bar packed just in case.  However with my crazy, busy life I usually forget about the energy bar and it ends up being smushed and flattened.  When I eventually need to eat the bar, it still tastes great!
  5. Extra Diaper and Wipes:  I keep these in every one of bags, purses, etc, because I am constantly switching my bags so it important to have them on hand just in case.  For you moms out there, you know that accidents happen at the most inconvenient times!
  6. Worn Out Yoga Mat: So I am not a person who likes change and when I really like something, I won't let it go until it is absolutely have to.  My yoga mat is one of those things I don't want to give up.  It looks really gross and worn at the top and the bottom but I don't care!  It was my first yoga mat when I trained for a yoga and pilates combination class called Group Centergy and it shall remain mine until I can't stand it any longer!
  7. The Important Essentials:  In all seriousness, I do carry the all important fitness gear such as hair ties, sports bra, heart rate monitor, deodorant, and yada, yada, yada.

Need A Healthy Breakfast Idea For Your Family?  Try these gluten-free, low glycemic Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins



1 egg
1/2 cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
3/4 cup (150 grams) coconut sugar (low glycemic)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Epicure)
1 cup (about 180 grams) grated zucchini, lightly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (Epicure)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Epicure)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (120 grams) Chickpea Flour/Rice Flour
3/4 cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour (or Chickpea Flour/Rice Flour)
2/3 cup (113 grams) semisweet chocolate chips


  1. Mix together egg, oil, coconut sugar, zucchini, and vanilla.
  2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients except for chocolate chips.
  3. Combine the dry and wet ingredients.  Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Pour into muffin tin and bake in oven at 350 F degrees for 20 minutes. 
  5. Enjoy!

No comments: