Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins...A Big Hit Family Recipe #glutenfree #mamavation

I have always wanted to make these muffins, but not sure how my family would react to having zucchini in their muffins.  I have a few picky eaters in my house and getting them to eat a variety of vegetables is a chore.  That is why I wanted to give these a try, and I wasn't disappointed in the result.  They were absolutely delicious.  I didn't even tell my girls what they were until they ate them.  My daughter asked, "Mommy...what is that green stuff?"
When I told her it was zucchini, she nearly fell off her chair!  My husband also thought they were delicious, which says a lot.
I adapted this recipe from www.fortheloveofcooking.com to make them gluten-free, low-fat and dairy-free (if you omit the chocolate chips or add dairy-free chocolate chips).  In addition, I substituted the sugar for maple syrup for a more natural sugar alternative.

1 1/4 cup Chickpea Flour
3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Cocoa
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 cup Almond Milk/Soy Milk
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
3/4 cup Canola Oil/Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 Egg Whites (or 6 Tbsp. of Egg Whites)
1 1/2 cups Shredded Zucchini

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Mix together flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cocoa and cinnamon.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix almond/soy milk, oil, vanilla and egg whites together.  Add in shredded zucchini and stir until combined.
  4. Add zucchini mix to dry ingredients and stir.  Place mixture into greased muffin tin.
  5. Cook for 20 minutes. 
  6. Enjoy!

No comments: