Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day 10 Viva Las Vegas Half Marathon Training #sweatpink #fitfluential #momsrunning

My half marathon training day 10 has proven to be one of my toughest days, yet!  I initially thought that adding in some weight training on a few of my running days would be an efficient way to fit it into my week.  So how did I do it?
As a very busy mom like so many other moms, the only way to get all of our necessary training elements into one week is look for those times of the day that will have the least disruption on our families schedule.  Mine happens to be at @ 5am in the morning when everyone in my house is asleep.  Today I decided to take essential steps to preparing my day of training!  Here are some of the activities/strategies that made my day a success:
  1. Woke up @ 5:00am for weight training at the gym (I rewarded myself by stopping by my favourite coffee shop at the end of class).
  2. After my weight training, I came home and prepared a slow cook dinner while making breakfast for my family.  I knew that if I wanted to get my run in after work, I wouldn't have time to prepare dinner when I got home. I love my slow cooker for that reason and you can cook very healthy meals (a mother's best kitchen appliance).
  3. After work @ 5:30pm I went out for my 4.9km run.  It was a tough one, after having done weights in the morning.  But I got through it, knowing that there was a delicious dinner waiting for me at home!
I definitely felt that today seemed impossible at times, to fit everything into one day!  However, having an amazing goal to work towards, such as going to the Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon is motivation enough to help me stay focused.  This is one of the big reasons I started a Moms In Motion training team in my community.  I believe that having a goal towards an event such as a race can be very rewarding as well as help stay on track.  Most times weight loss is the deciding factor for fitness, but this can cause disappointment as well as deter some from enjoying exercise.  In addition, it is important for moms to be great role models for their families by taking care of themselves.  They are for the most part the driving force behind every family.  So...yay for me that I got through day 10 of my training!

No comments: