Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 1 Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon Las Vegas Training

I have finally made it to this moment!  My Day 1 of my Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon training.  It has been years since I had run for 6.3km!!  After suffering through post-partum depression, and now Celiac disease, I can't believe that I have made it back to a place in my life that makes sense. 
Fitness has been my whole life since childhood.  I had defined myself as an athlete at a very young age and knew that I would never quit, even when I became a mom.  The funny thing about becoming a mom is...your life will forever change, more than you ever expected.  I never knew that mothers could become depressed after their baby was born because it is such a proud moment in one's life.  However, pregnancy and post-pregnancy hormones can wreck havoc on a woman's body, as I found out with post-partum depression. 
In addition to overcoming this, I have had very serious Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) this year that I couldn't even get out of bed some days.  I had lost a ton of weight (not from exercising), lost some of my hair, and had little to no energy (having no energy when you have three kids is torture).  And recently I have been diagnosed with Celiac disease, so now I have to be extra careful in what I consume.  However, it is nice to get an answer to what has been plaguing my digestive system this past year.
To be able to step out for a run today, almost brought tears to my eyes.  I also felt more determined than I had ever been to conquer my first day of my training.  I felt very focused and clear in what my goals were for the run.  It didn't matter my time or pace.  I enjoyed experiencing all the senses such as the heat of the sun, the scent of the plants and the feel of the breeze.  I really wanted to soak in the moment.  It was a great start to a 12 week training program.  Las Vegas, I'm comin' for ya!


No comments: