Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Day 8 Viva Las Vegas Half Marathon Training #fitfluential #sweatpink #mamavation #RnRLV

I must say that this was the hardest run I have ever done, yet!  I am not sure if it is a combination of the last few days at the lake, eating junk food and not exercising.  My legs were so heavy for the first half hour that I felt like I couldn't go on another step.  However I dug deep, pumped my arms and kept on going.  Not only did I finish my intended 8.63km, I finished with a best time thus far in my training!  It just goes to show that you shouldn't discount yourself and keep pushing until the end.  I was so proud to wear my Moms In Motion hat to show off to passing fellow runners and walkers.  Go Moms!
I also added in a medicine ball workout after my run.  Medicine ball is great for speed and power development, a form of plyometrics.  I love using it for my own workouts as well as for my clients.  It adds a bit more variety to a weight training program and it is fun to throw a ball around!  In addition, this workout is really effective when having a partner (I use my husband).  Here are a few of my favourite medicine ball exercises:
  1. Sit ups ball catches, legs grounded
  2. Seated passing twists
  3. Supine (on back) ball raise with legs
  4. Knee raises with ball between the legs
  5. Bicycle situp with ball hitting ground each side
  6. Overhead pass
  7. Rotational pass
I am looking forward to a relaxing rest day tomorrow, then back to training on Tuesday (I am not sure if it will really be relaxing with 3 kids and working full-time!).

No comments: