Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 5 Viva Las Vegas Half Marathon Training #runchat #fitfluential #mamavation #sweatpink

This was an awesome Day 5 training towards my half-marathon goal in December!  It feels great to have come a long way to get to this point in my health and fitness journey.  The best thing about having a fitness goal such as a running event, such as Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in Las Vegas, is that it keeps you accountable to sticking with your training plan.  Even though I am still very early in my training, I will take any positive moment I can get!
Today was also my first day of weight training, in addition to my run.  As a former university athlete and trainer, I know that adding weights is an important part of any well-balanced fitness program.  I will begin to train muscle endurance (high reps low resistance) then add in more strength and power (lower reps higher resistance).  I believe that starting with this type of periodization is best to avoid plateauing as well as decrease chances of injury.  The weight workout today felt so great!  I will probably experience a little delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) in the next few days, but there is always that fantastic line to remember- NO PAIN, NO GAIN! 
The other great part about my journey has been the support of my husband!  When I first discussed my half-marathon training to him, we both realized the commitment it will take to train and that sharing all home responsibilities would be best for my success.  It meant that he would need to cook and clean more around the house, which he was more than happy to take more responsibility.  I also needed to let go of my perfection and allow him to perform the house chores as he sees fit.  I think sometimes, as mothers, we take the majority of household chores because we prefer them to be done a certain way.  However, if we are to really look after our health and wellness, as well as taking of our families, we need to let go and allow others to take on the work.  I am not alone in my journey, because I need my family to help me make it a reality!




No comments: